Rules and Regulations Contract/Medical Form Must be turned in by August 31, 2015.
“Where words fail, music speaks.”
? Hans Christian Andersen
Dear Parent(s), Guardian(s), and Students,
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Robertson County Band Program. We have an exciting year of music making ahead of us and we want to make sure we get started off on the right foot. Please read through this handbook so that you become familiar with the rules and regulations of the band program. After reading the entire handbook, please sign the contract and fill out the medical form found on the last two pages and turn them in to me by August 31, 2011. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. I look forward to seeing you next year.
Director of Bands
809 Terre Haute Dr.
Maysville, KY 41056
Table of Contents
- Philosophy of the Band Program
- Band Membership Requirements
- Performing Ensembles
- Rehearsal Guidelines
- Private Lessons
- Grading Policy
- Performance Policies
- Traveling With the Band
- Drug and Alcohol Policy
- Parents / Guardians
- Rules and Regulations Contract/Promissory Note
- Student Information/Medical Form
I. Philosophy of the Band Program
It is the goal of the Robertson County Band Program to ensure every student who attends Deming Schools is given the opportunity to perform, create, and personally develop in an artistic manor. We understand that not every student will grow to be a famous musician however all students can become lifelong supporters of music.
II. Band Membership Requirements
- You must be enrolled as a student at RCS School System.
- No previous experience is necessary only the willingness to learn.
III. Performing Ensembles
We are fortunate to have several fine ensembles here at Deming School. The following is a list and short description of each ensemble.
Beginning band is a fundamental class designed for beginning musicians for fifth and sixth grade students. Students will meet in instrument-based classes and will learn the necessary fundamental skills for instrumental performance. Students will learn a vast amount of musical and instrumental concepts the first year, and will perform scales, music and band literature throughout the year. Concert performances will take place throughout the year…schedule TBA.
This performing group will consist of a combined 7th and 12th grade class. Though there are different meeting times during the school day to account for scheduling conflicts, all students will come together as one ensemble for all performances. The function of this group will be to develop individual musicianship, and perform music at the highest level of achievement possible. Concert performances will take place throughout the year…schedule TBA.
Basketball (Pep) Band
This performing group will consist of ALL 7th grade through 12th grade students enrolled in concert band. Band students are required to attend all scheduled band games, unless already participating on the basketball team or cheer squad. Failure to attend games will result in a lowered concert band grade. The function of this group will be to support the basketball teams with music at all home basketball games, and possibly away games depending on schedule (The 2014-2015 basketball band schedule will be available as soon as possible).
This performing group will be composed of ALL 7th grade through 12th grade students enrolled in concert band. Band students are required to attend all scheduled parades. Failure to attend parades will result in a lowered concert band grade. This will be a mobile ensemble that requires marching in time. The function of this band will be to march and play music at parades in the surrounding community.
IV. Rehearsal Guidelines
Rehearsal in one of the most important aspects of the band program. Having good rehearsals will lead to good performances. These guidelines have been set to ensure we have good rehearsals.
- Be on time.
- Have all of your materials (Instrument, music, pencil, mutes etc.)
- Find your seat and quietly begin to warm up at the beginning of rehearsal.
- Do not talk during rehearsal (You might miss valuable information).
- Help clean the band room when rehearsal is finished.
V. Private Lessons
I strongly encourages you to take private lessons. Studying privately is not a requirement however by studying with a professional player on a regular basis you will receive more specialized individual attention on your instrument. Payment and lesson times may be set up with each individual instructor. If you are interested in private lessons please contact Mrs. Carpenter.
VI. Grading Policy
Grading will be broken down into two categories daily participation and performance.
- Daily Participation is worth 40% of the students overall grade. Students who come to class prepared with all materials, participate in class, and have a great attitude will receive the full 40% for the semester.
- Performances are worth 60% of the students overall grade. To receive this 60% students must attend all performances unless excused by the director or in the event of an emergency. An unexcused absence will result in failure of the course. Students must also act in a professional manor during a performance to receive the full 60%.
VII. Performance Policies
The band program is one of the most visible organizations the school has. It is our job to be ambassadors for our school and be professional in everything we do. These performance guidelines are designed to help us be as professional as possible.
- Show up early. The director will designate a meeting time prior to each performance. Please note that an unexcused absence from a performance will result in failure of the course. (Please note this applies to all ensembles)
- Have all of your materials. Concerts can be great fun if everyone has
their materials ready to go. Concerts can also be very stressful if you are hurrying trying to find misplaced music, mouthpieces, mallets etc.
- Be dressed in full uniform. We use the band uniform for marching events. We will use the following uniform for concert events:
- Ladies: All black. No low cut tops. No sleeveless tops. No shorts. No tennis shoes.
- Gentlemen: Black shoes, black socks, black slacks, and a white long sleeve button up dress shirt with a collar. (A red tie will be provided.) No shorts. No tennis shoes.
- Invite friends and family to our performances.
- Have a great musical experience.
Pleas note that failure to comply with the policies could result in a failing grade for the course.
VIII. Traveling With the Band
Being a member of the band program provides many opportunities for travel: football games, parades, concert band festivals, etc. These rules and regulations are designed to ensure that each trip is safe and fun.
- While traveling with the band all school rules and policies still apply.
- Dress for each trip shall be designated by the director.
- While traveling with the band students are reminded to be on their best behavior. Not only are they representing the band program, they are representing the school and community.
- While on the bus students are to remain seated until otherwise noted by the director. After dark, male students will sit in the left hand row of the bus and female students will sit in the right hand row of the bus.
- After traveling the director will inspect the bus for cleanliness. If a student’s area is left unclean they will be asked to return and clean it.
- If the band goes on an overnight trip rooms will be assigned in advance.
- If a discipline problem occurs while traveling with the band the director will contact the school administration and the parents of the offending student. Punishment will be left to the discretion of the director and school administration. If the infraction is serious enough the offending student may be sent home and expelled from the band program.
IX. Drug and Alcohol Policy
The use of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, or any illegal substance of any form is strictly forbidden. Use of these substances will result in immediate expulsion from the band program and possibly the school.
X. Parents & Guardians
- If you have a student that participates in the RCS Band Program you are encouraged to participate in the band program as well. When we need
volunteers or chaperons please contact Mrs. Carpenter on information.
- Attendance is not optional! If you have been a part of any group or organization with a common goal then you know the importance of good attendance. By joining the high school band you are making the commitment to be at every rehearsal & performance. In comparisons to most of the other bands in our area our rehearsal schedule is very minimal. Commitment is the key!
- We must also remember that band is a class and classes supersede clubs meetings, and other such activities.
- Students may have 3 unexcused absences from rehearsal. After 3 unexcused absences they will be removed from the band program.
- Students may have NO unexcused absences from a performance.
- The following is a list of acceptable excuses.
- Death in the family
- Student Illness
- Knowing our rehearsal schedule in advance you should be able to schedule doctor/dentist/haircut appointment around that schedule. If you absolutely must miss for a doctor visit I must have a note brought to me before the absence will be excused.
- Any student who misses a rehearsal the week of a performance will not be allowed to perform with the band. However, that student is still expected to attend the performance in order to receive a grade.
XII. Rules and Regulations Contract/Promissory Note
This contract states that both student and parent or guardian have completely read this handbook and understand all the rules and regulations contained in this handbook. This contract will also serve as the student/parent/guardian promissory note to be in attendance at all rehearsals and performances.
Please turn this contract in before August 30, 2015
I, ______________________________ have fully read through the
(Print member name here)
RCS Band Handbook with my parent(s) or guardian(s). I understand all the rules and regulations within the handbook. I understand that infractions upon these rules may result in punishment, which will be decided by the band director and or school administration. I also understand that I am required to be in attendance at all rehearsal and performances without exception.
I/we, the undersigned parent(s) or guardian(s) of the member written above have read the regulations and requirements, accept them and intend to abide by them. I/we have discussed the matter with my/our student and are convinced that the candidate understands and will abide by these regulations and requirements. I/we understand that infractions upon these rules may result in punishment, which will be decided by the band director and or school administration. I/we also understand that my/our student is required to be in attendance at all rehearsal and performances without exception.
Band Director Signature_________________________________Date_________
This Contract will also count as an all-encompassing permission slip for all events
Rules and Regulations Contract/Medical Form Must be turned in August 31, 2015
XIII. STUDENT INFORMATION/ MEDICAL FORM
Last Middle First Cell Phone Home Phone
Type Make Model Serial Number
Student E-mail Address:____________________________________________________________
Used to relay information about the Robertson County Bands ONLY
T-Shirt Size Circle one Small Medium Large X-Large XX-Large XXXL
Last Middle First Cell Phone
Last Middle First Cell Phone
Parent/ Guardian E-mail Address:____________________________________________________________
Used to relay information about the Robertson County Bands ONLY
Robertson County School
EMERGENCY MEDICAL TREATMENT
Last Middle First
TELEPHONE NUMBERS (____)________________(____)____________________(____)______________________
(HOME) (Father-Bus.) (Mother-Bus.)
Is he/she allergic to any medicine or drug? ____ If so, please explain:
Has he/she had tetanus shots? _________ When: ______________ Blood Type:__________
Family Physician: ________________________________
Instructions for emergency medical treatment: _____________________________________
Medicines being taken: ________________________________________________________
FOR THE PARENT OR GUARDIAN:
I hereby grant permission for the above applicant to participate in band activities. In the event of accident or medical illness, permission is granted for any such medical and/or surgical treatment as may be necessary. Every effort will be made to notify me before any major treatment is undertaken.
Signature of Parent or Guardian